Friday, July 15, 2005

Software Uninstaller

[Posted on my MSN Space on July 05, 2005]

A new Community Technical Preview of Visual Studio 2005 has been posted for MSDN subscribers. It has the same intensive requirements for ordered uninstallation of previous builds. In order to make this process easier, I wrote a little app while I was downloading the June CTP. The app enumerates all uninstallable software, allows a user to select SW to uninstall and configure the order of uninstallation, then performs a synchronous uninstallation of all the selected SW (see the pic for an example). The only problem is that the VS.NET uninstaller launches a separate process, which breaks the synchronous process flow, but other than that it worked like a champ when I went to uninstall Beta 2 before installing the June CTP. I have placed the code out here, so give it a try and leave any comments (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK).

Click here for a screen shot of the UI

No comments:

Post a Comment